First 30 days of the 2016 Niche Site Challenge have already gone by and there is a lot going on here!
Some of the initial contestants haven’t responded to my update request, so I’m guessing some have probably got caught up with life and haven’t been doing much, while others might be doing so well they didn’t have time to reply! Let’s all hope it’s the last.
Anyway, lets focus on those who have been working on their niche site this month and have reported their progress. Let’s take a look at how each of us is doing so far and what goals have been set for the next 30 days.
This first month I managed to set up my ecommerce niche site. I have the coolest niche, Minions! http://minionsgifts.com
Right now I’m the process of writing original titles and descriptions for all the products, and my goals for the next 30 days are:
- Populate the store with at least 200 products
- Write original titles and descriptions for all products
- Create a blog section and publish at least 2 posts.
It was hard to start because I always wonder if the kw and the niche is profitable. I found that competition in french was easier than in english, so I chose to build a niche site in french.
I found some KW with low competition in the treadmill niche, so I went for it!
- I bought a DN @ namecheap : passioncourir.com (btw, namecheap is not able to provide an invoice for a DN! unbelievable! I had to fight to get a receipt (still not an invoice))
- I installed the site on my VPS.
- installed WP + a simple theme with needs some work (wrong on a mobile)
- I bought a article about pros & cons about running indoor vs outdoor. (I was really surprised by the high quality, (in french at textbroker). Past tests were terrible (in english at fiverr) as you know, “you pay peanuts, you get monkeys”)
- I have not put any affiliate link yet, hoping big G will love me
Goals for next month
- Fix issues & improve site / theme
- Find a photo showing a treadmill for homepage
- Make a real home page (it shows an empty and useless post now)
- Add content (still outsourced)
the first 30 days wasn’t as successful as I would’ve liked it to be. I ended up rethinking my approach to the niche I selected, which delayed my progress quite a bit. You see, I went into this project with the thought of just quickly getting a site online and cranking out content. I didn’t really think of creating a quality site with great content, I just wanted to get it done!
I came to the realization that I don’t want to create a mediocre site with lame or boring content. I wanted to create something great. I wanted to take my time with the site’s design. I didn’t want my site to look like just anther niche site. I want it to look like it can compete with the big authority sites in my niche. This is why I didn’t achieve all the goals I set.
I spent the majority of the little free time I had choosing a theme and really customizing it to make it look just how I want, and though the design isn’t completely finished yet, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
So here’s a list of the goals I set along with how I progressed:
- Market / Niche Research – completed
- Choose a Niche – completed (I’ll be entering the very big health niche – specifically, natural health. I know, is a SUPER large and competitive niche with tons of authority sites, but I’m confident I can do well.)
- Select a Domain – completed (the domain I chose is totalwellnesshacks.com)
- Get a WordPress site up – WordPress installed, still working on some last minute design tweaks though
- Have at least 5 articles written – FAILED – not a single article written yet – bummer!
I was really hoping I would be able to achieve all my goals, but overall I’m happy with the progress I made. I’m also glad I took the time to make the site look like more than just a niche site. I think it will add a lot of value to the site and hopefully make it more successful in this very tough niche.
Goals for the next 30 days
- Finish the design/content for the homepage.
- Create a logo
- Write a minimum of 5 articles (each at least 2,000 words in length)
- Create a lead magnet for my mailing list
That’s it for this progress report. Looking forward to seeing how everyone else had progressed over the last 30 days!
Guillermo Carone (me)
The first 30 days of my niche challenge were very productive. Not only I chose my niche and set up my site but I also posted 11 articles, which is way more than single article I was shooting for when I started. There is a little trick though. I ended up deciding to go into a food related niche and also include recipes on my site, which makes it easier to post regularly than if I was only writing lengthy informational posts.
Once I chose my niche, which is Oil Less Fryers, I decided to really dive into it and I actually bought and airfryer to try it out for myself and truly review it. That also opened the door to taking my own photos of the product and the dishes I cook with it and recording my own videos. This is actually a lot of work, but I hope all this original content will help me climb the SERPs faster and stay there for good.
Goals for the next 30 days
- Publish 10 more articles
- Figure out a strategy to start building backlinks
- Find on-line communities where I can share my recipes and maybe get inspiration for new ones
Oh! and be sure to check my site! http://frytheworld.com